Buy It - Shop Until You Drop - Fuel Stop - Mission China
Regular priceSale price
Unit price/ per
Activity 1: Shop Till You Drop
1. Teach the new vocabulary (items and shopping phrases) students need to complete the activity.
2. Show an image of a shopping mall; elicit the diﬀerent kinds of shops and what those shops sell.
3. Show the 4 items from the activity and elicit what kinds of shops would sell them. eg. a tennis racket = a sports shop. Record the 4 diﬀerent types of shops on the board and divide students into 4 groups. Number each group 1-4. Each group brainstorms items sold in the kind of shop their group was given.
4. After brainstorming, students form new groups with one student from each group 1-4 in the new group (jigsaw activity). Students take turns to share back to their new group a few items each.
5. Introduce the Mission Director’s instructions and students complete the activity.
6. Check answers and discuss any misconceptions.
Deconstruction: Students discuss if they ever had to buy a gift for someone they don’t know well or are ‘hard to buy for’. What did they do to solve the problem
Activity 2: Fuel Stop!
1. Teach the new vocabulary (burger ingredients) students need to complete the activity.
2. Show an image of a bowl of noodles, a bowl of rice and a hamburger.
3. Elicit which of these foods does not come from China. (A hamburger) Ask students if they think they can buy hamburgers and other kinds of western food in China. (Yes) Where do they think they could buy them from? (Fast food restaurants, Western restaurants). What currency would they use to pay for them? (Renminbi = RMB )
4. Introduce the Mission Director’s instructions and students complete the activity.
5. Students share their answers with a partner then share answers as a class.
1. Do all students like hamburgers? Are there ingredients they don’t like in them? 2. Have students ever had to eat foods they don’t like? Where? Why? 3. If students were visiting another culture and they were served food they didn’t like, what would they do? What do they think they should do?